"The Mothers' Milk Bank at Austin is a family affair. We are moms and their babies who share mothers’ milk. We are preterm and fragile infants who thrive and grow, thanks to donor milk. We are giving and grateful families and friends, connected by nature’s most precious gift."
To my friends, sisters in womanhood, fellow mamas, specifically those who are breastfeeding, I have a favor to ask of you! Read this post in it's entirety and open your heart and mind to a new idea.
I'm a huge fan and advocate of breastfeeding. So much so, that I would love to one day become a lactation consultant. There are huge benefits of nursing your child, both health-wise and emotional alike. I am bonded with my children in a way I don't think any other human can be, with them specifically. All because I made the choice to breastfeed them. Many women are unable to do so, for whatever reason. And that is why I am so thankful for the Mothers Milk Bank of Austin. I first shared/donated my milk when Olivia was a baby. The feeling it gave me was unforgettable; knowing I was helping tiny babies fight for a chance of life. Think in terms of giving blood. I have never been physically able to donate blood, and so I feel donating milk was a parallel of that service to others; and I hope through my blog and experiences with the milk bank, I am able to bring more awareness to this way of helping others.
Today, I attended the Milk and Cookies Tour, in which myself and other donor moms along with our families were given a tour of the process a batch of donated milk goes through. Did you know that only 1 oz. of milk is enough for a premature infant to have 3 meals? That baby's tummy is SO tiny, that 1 oz. can spread over 3 feedings! And that 1 oz. is liquid gold for that precious little life. Helping them survive and thrive.

As awareness of the milk bank, human milk donation, and the need for human donor milk increases, the demand for this milk is far outweighing the supply. That's where you come in, my lovely lactating mommy friend! :) I'd be thrilled if you would consider donating some of your milk. Do you live in a different town or state of a milk bank (most likely since there are only 15 in the whole USA)? The milk bank will pay for you to ship your milk to them. They are making it SO easy to donate and SO hard to say no. :) After my babies stopped nursing ALL THE TIME, usually around 4 months, I was able to pump once a day and build up a supply and it took no time at all before I was able to drop off my donation. Today, I dropped off my second donation and picked up more containers in hopes of making one last donation before Lilah turns 1. (They do only accept the milk from the 1st year of baby's life, since that milk contains the most protein, fat and calories.) If you are considering and are skeptical because you are worried about losing "your baby's" freezer supply, try to think past that. Have a supply for your baby and then pump 1 extra time a day for an additional supply. And if you are unable to donate milk, you can always donate your time or you may consider donating $35 to the milk bank.
The silver lining of the shortage of human milk is that the milk is being used and there is a demand for it. The doctors are beginning to realize how beneficial this is and are prescribing human milk more often than they do now. Awareness about the benefits of breast-milk, support and encouragement to those women who choose to nourish their children by breast-feeding, and willingness to donate are the keys to building up this healthy way of living and service! I'm sorry if I sound pushy on this subject, I am just really passionate about it! :) Please feel free to call me 512-771-9620 if you have questions about the milk bank, donating, or need breast-feeding support! I think it's important we girls stick together and support each other's decisions that are made in the best interest of our children and families! Girl power! (haha! ;) )
Links:
Mothers Milk Bank at Austin (Look for Olivia's baby picture on the rotating slideshow) :)
La Leche League
KellyMom

1 comment:
Very Cool, Piep! I'm glad you're involved with this. Too bad I'm not breast feeding. :) hehe. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment