With each new year, life brings special moments. Subtle moments, surprising moments, some that are disappointing and moments that are life-changing. For me, 2009 was a year full of lessons. As I continued learning my new role of mommy, I also was blessed to learn patience.
My constant prayer is that I am a mom who is patient with her children. I still struggle with this since I was born with somewhat of a short fuse. Not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I think I am doing an okay job right now. I hope I don't speak too soon, as we haven't entered terrible two's or three's or whatever age it is these days. This will be the year that I will find out; Livi turns two mid-year. But if I had one wish it would be too not lose my cool with my kids. I never make resolutions. I don't typically believe in them. But this time, it feels different. There's a bigger reason in my life now and now seems most appropriate.The fruits of the Spirit are, to me, a (seemingly) simple guideline for how we should be as mothers to our children. Of course, in all relationships, we should practice them but it seems since we are shaping little people and their personalities (to an extent), we ought to try our best to emulate what/how we'd like them to be/act in their every day lives. So this year, my only resolution is to study, retain and practice the fruits of the spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." I obviously am going to treat them all with equality, but I tend to favor a few out of the bunch. Although as I look at each one separately, they are all awesome in their own way. I am far from perfect. But hopefully by resoluting to work at each of these every day, I will grow in good ways.
I LOVE my daughter and family more than my own life and it's because they give me JOY I cannot find anywhere else in the world.
I find PEACE when my daughter is safe and healthy in my arms as we rock and spend our special time together in the evenings. The Lord is helping me to grow in PATIENCE by gently testing me so I am able to stretch and grow in ways I didn't know I could. I find it important to practice KINDNESS to my husband, friends, and even strangers so Olivia can see this GOODNESS and learn how she should treat others. Being a FAITHFUL follower of the Lord is an extremely important part of our journey on this earth. I want to be GENTLE with Olivia and hopefully teach her how SELF-CONTROL is the best and only way to be a graceful, Christian woman. I resolve to act, talk, and be better this year. And with the help of the fruits of the Spirit, hopefully I will be able to teach Olivia subtle characteristics of a gentle, noble and graceful wife and mother. Do you have New Years Resolutions? As for now, this sweet face makes me smile and my heart swell with pride. Happy New Year!
br>

2 comments:
I like your fruit of the spirit resolutions....and your daughter is adorable. Enjoy...I have daughters in college...still sweet thankfully!
what great resolutions! hopped over from Kelly's Korner. I wrote a whole series this fall on Fruits of the Spirits and how i cna live them out in my parenting. here is a link to the series
http://littlellamas.blogspot.com/search/label/Fruit%20of%20the%20Spirit
You'll have to scroll down to read the first.
It is a great passage of scripture to meditate on in your parenting!
Post a Comment