So, yesterday, I was putting Olivia in her carseat on our way home from church. She does this speacial little maneuver now where she squirms and wiggles down to where her head reaches the seat area where her bottom is suppossed to be. It's always great when she does that. And usually, I will pick her up by her little wrists to sit her back up and proceed to get her strapped in. Well, this particular occasion, I pretty much immediately knew something was wrong since she started crying right away. It's kinda strange how we mothers just instinctively know a different type of cry. It wasn't a "scream" type of cry, which I am thankful for, since I had to use the car ride home to think of what I needed to do, but more of a hurt type of cry. I knew something wasn't right how she kept crying in an on and off manner. She would cry real hard and kinda hold her left arm while holding it still in one place. My dad has always told me that my arm was accidentally pulled from it's socket when I was a teeniny baby. So, when I got home, I called him to get his insight. His main thing was that if she wasn't moving it, then I needed to call the dr. So, I did. After telling the nurse the situation and what exactly happened, she, without skipping a beat, said that she had what is known as nursemaids elbow. I've never heard of it. And I was like, "How in the world did you know that.. and without seeing her?!?" She told me they see it ALL THE TIME. (So be careful out there, mommies!) But what it is is when the elbow is pulled out and away from the joint, kind of like dislocation, but not quite (I still don't understand really what it is- just google it). So she proceeded to tell me how I was supposed to go about getting it back in place! WHAT?! I didn't know I'd have to be the one to do that! It was kind of a panicky feeling. But, I listened to her instructions and as Anthony held her still, I tried my best to get her little elbow back "in place". I tried 3 times, but realized it actually happened the first time as I remembered hearing the click or grind. I knew it had worked by holding her lambie up and she reached up high for it. The nurse said if she could extend her arm out, then I had fixed it! I was so scared I had dislocated her arm or even her wrist, since she kept holding it in particular, although the pics on the internet didn't look anything like her arm (which actually didn't look like anything, she just kept holding it in one place, close to her belly). I am just so glad the whole ordeal, from start to finish, lasted a matter of about 30 minutes and that we didn't have to go in to the dr or urgent care. We gave her some ibuprofen, I held her, we rocked and I sang to her while rubbing her back. And she drifted off to a deep slumber. And that was that.
And last week, I looked out the window and saw snowflakes drifting slowly toward the ground. And by the time I got us bundled and out to see the wonder, it had stopped. And I was sad. But here are some pictures of the bundled beaut anyway... hopefully West TX can offer us a White Christmas...

1 comment:
That's crazy because this happened to Ava at church on Wednesday night a few weeks ago and Karen H. put it back in place. Her doctor taught her how to do it because Anna had that happen at church a year or so ago when karen tried to pick her up off the ground by her arm. So coincidental!
Post a Comment