Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Discipline! Already!?

I just read Ashley's post on Parenting Philosophy's and I'd like to post something along those lines so I can solicit your advice! Go here to read her post. Also, read the comments too- it's great to read everyone's different take on things. I think it's great that we are all different and raise our children differently too! How boring things would be if everyone parented the same!

Anyway, I must say, I definitely needed to read the discipline parts and enjoyed Heidi's and Summer's comments on how they handle discipline because Olivia (who is now only 14.5 months) is in a stage right now where she is scowling and hitting me in face ALL THE TIME, like she is mad at me! It's like she is craving attention (which she gets all the time) but prefers the negative attention. I seriously don't know what to do. Nothing I am doing now is working! Not sure what I "should" be doing with a child this young (there's that word- "should"). Ok, this is better- what worked for you? I welcome any advice!


post signature

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Don't have any advice for this particular situation, but James Dobson's book "Dare to Discipline" is a great read with lots of good advice. (If you have the time now to read!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've been through 3 kids in this same dilemma and have been successful all 3 times. Disclaimer: My kids are not perfect and I am not a perfect parent either. You have to start "disciplining" when they are babies. It sounds ridiculous, but if you start out drawing a line then they'll always know it's there. With babies it's easy. If they are screaming, use a very calm and softer tone of voice and just tell them "don't scream, just tell me what you need." If they're hitting you in the face then gently grab their arm when they hit you and tell them in a surprised or even a sad, but soft tone of voice, "don't hit. that hurts. ouch!" Kids, even babies understand SO much more than we give them credit for and even though it may take a few tries, I promise this will work. When they get older it's a bit more complicated and more work, but this should work for Olivia. If it doesn't, I have a few more pieces of advise for you, but to save myself from writing you a novel, we can cross that bridge when we get there. It's all about being consistent and staying calm. If you are calm and quiet, the kids will be too.

Ashley said...

Hi there :)
Heidi sent me an email about what has worked with her kids and I was wanting to forward it to you. They use spanking as a last resort, and I don't know how you feel about that, but I found her counsel to be very wise and biblical. Email me!

ashley61985@gmail.com