Tonight we went to Piranha Killer Sushi for dinner. I don't like sushi. No, I have never tried it. And no, I never will. I can not for the life of me get passed the thought of fish, crabs, lobster, shrimp...etc. swimming in the sea and then on my plate, let alone RAW fish. Yes I eat other meat. But this is just...different. I said never earlier and I know you should never say never. So I am not sure at this point if raw fish... even cooked fish... is ever in the cards for me. Nontheless, we went there because they have a Grand Opening tomorrow night and tonight was Media Night. Anthony was invited to attend and he was able to bring Liv and I. We had a good time as a family, and it was free!
Ok, so that's what I wrote before dinner. Here is my post after dinner.
So we went to this sushi place and I tried sushi! First, I am so proud of myself because I never, never in a million years thought I'd be brave enough to try raw pieces of sea meat! ha! Anthony has liked sushi for several years now and although he still plays it safe and won't venture out too much from tuna or salmon, he still at least tried it- unlike me. So he ordered their On the Beach Roll, which was shrimp tempura & scallions topped with tuna & avocado. I played it safe and ordered the Crunchy Chicken Salad. What's that you say? I'm a risk taker? Yea, I know. I don't like to brag! He asked me one or two times if I wanted a taste but I graciously declined. He was down to his last roll, so he said it was my last chance. I asked him a few questions about the taste, and although he said it really couldn't be described, he said the tuna didn't taste like fish at all, was extremely smooth and said it was so much better than chicken. So I decided to be a brave soldier and try it. He was a great "server" cause he made sure to give me some rice, avocado and fish in my bite so the flavors would balance out. It wasn't bad! Then he gave me a (rather large, for my liking) bite of shrimp, which I also popped in my mouth all at once. And then when I took a bite of the chicken- wow! Chicken is so much more textured- so smooth was right! I think I could definitely acquire a taste for it. And I would love to raise Olivia to be exposed to all sorts of cuisine, for sure!
So if you've never tried it- I'd recommend just trying it. For me, it will take a while to get my head out of the mix, but I am so glad I did! The classic lesson of "never say never" was a lesson well learned today!

3 comments:
I'm proud of you for trying. I feel the same way about it as you did before last night so we'll see. ;)
Way to go Pieper, I knew you would do it some day. Now if we could only get your brother and mother to take the plunge. I'm not sure but I think Mal is up for some Nemo, she can be a trooper when she wants to be. Wait till you can try some Salmon steak prepared on your old pop's grill, you'll be addicted for sure ;-)
Dad
Awesome, I'm so glad you tried it!! My husband was the exact same way as you- he never understood how I could just sit there and crave a Philadelphia roll. He finally gave in and tried it, and now he's hooked, too! It's something that freaks a lot of people out. But if it's prepared correctly (I always research new Sushi restaurants just to be sure) then you will be just fine.
I'm so glad you got the herb boxes, too! That is too funny, we are very much alike indeed :) I can't wait to see what you do with them, be sure to post some pictures!
Post a Comment