Sunday, August 23, 2009

13 months & a sweet noggin'

This past Wednesday, Olivia turned 13 months! I am speechless when it comes to how fast time is flying. And it's definitely not slowing down!

But on her 13 month birthday, it also marked the day in which she had her first big tumble and now boo boo. (I meant to take a picture of it, but am out of space on my memory card, don't want to delete any of the precious pics on there, so am headed to Office Max tomorrow to get a new one). I was straightening up in our dining room and she was doing what she normally does- right at my feet or very close by and playing in her own way. Next thing I know, I hear a fall and her start wailing. While she was trying to get under the dining room table, she fell and hit her noggin' on the wrought iron base. I scooped her up to console her, looking over her to see if I could visibly see proof of her fall and I couldn't. But I kid you not, I looked back at her face not 5 seconds later and I saw a HUGE bump start to well up on her forehead, a little higher than in between her eyes. But it wasn't like a bump, it was a line with what looked like blood on the inside since it didn't break skin. I know now that that is how bruises are formed- from internal blood, just when on our extremities, there is other tissue and muscle to absorb it, making it not look so bad (and scary). But my first thought was: internal bleeding on the head- not good! So I phoned her pediatrician and she asked that I bring her in just to look her over. In the meantime, she had stopped crying and was doing much better and although I probably jumped the gun, I just wanted to be safe. While we were in the room being seen by the doctor, Olivia, being the smart cookie that she is, was hearing what we were talking about (I'm sure "hitting head" was said several times) and out of no where she just started hitting herself in the head with her hand. The doctor and I just cracked up. So she was fine! And after her vitals came back normal with no signs of a concussion, we came home to take a nap.

And she is just her regular, beautiful self. I love that sweet little 13 month old noggin'! Could someone please freeze the time!?

We went to Houston this past weekend for a concert (for Anthony) and some relaxation on wave runners at the lake. Hope you all had a good weekend everyone!

post signature

1 comment:

Nikki Cogg said...

Olivia is SUCH a beautiful name! The poor little thing, I'm so glad she's ok! I have a feeling the pediatrician and I will be on a first name basis when the time comes...