Monday, August 24, 2009

Based on Two "True" Stories

This past weekend, while we were in Houston, my sister and I decided to go to the movies. We saw Julie & Julia and I loved it. It was really cute. I thought the ending was a bit strange and "left me hanging" a little bit, but otherwise, a fun chick flick. Meryl Streep was great! She was hilarious. Afterwards, hungry and since our interest in cooking had been spiked, we headed over to Barnes & Noble to find Julia Child's cookbook... but they were closing. Maybe next time..

And tonight, I googled Julie & Julia, and came across the original blog by Julie Powell. Go here to see it. I read a few of her posts and was surprised at how much bad language and what seemed to be angst the girl had. Man! I mean, come on. Your life can't be THAT bad! Anyway, although I know the movie is, afterall, just a movie, I was still thinking it would still parallel the real life Julie/Julia Project. Not so much. I got the sense that she tackles only about one recipe a month in the real life blog, whereas in the movie, her goal is to knock out all 524 recipes in 365 days. She seems to have alot of trouble (cooking issues) in the real life blog and the movie showed her doing rather well, considering living in NYC and lack of cooking experience. The movie depicts Julie as a sweet young woman who lacks confidence and style. She actually is from Austin, TX! So my view of the movie now has changed a little bit. Definitely a Hollywood kink in it, although based on a "true" story.

If you haven't seen the movie, I'd recommend it... although not worth $9 at the theater. (Especially after I've caught a glimpse of the real life Julie/Julia Project blog) Wait until it comes to video, and the husband and kids are gone (they won't enjoy it) on a rainy day. If you have seen it... what did you think?

Here is a sweet photo of my little one, watching her daddy play tennis..



post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the movie, but just paid matinee price and didn't do any research on the "real" story. I agree that it was not for husbands/kids. I LOVED Meryl Streep though! She was awesome!