Monday, September 10, 2012

Zucchini Banana Coconut

Fall is coming, my most favorite season! I walked outside early this morning to do our weekly grocery shopping and was greeted with unseasonably fresh, crisp and cool air. It was glorious and I immediately knew I would bake something cinnamony today. Green Smoothie girl has a nutritious zucchini bread recipe I've been wanting to try so I knew this was what I would make! I modified her recipe a little bit, cutting out some oil and sugar and replacing it with banana and applesauce (I was surprised at how much sugar and even oil her recipe called for). I had some leftover sweetened coconut in my pantry that I KNEW I would not use otherwise since its pretty processed and sweet so I decided to utilize it into the recipe as well. You of course can easily omit it to keep these muffins as whole as possible. Here is the recipe I used. They turned out absolutely delicious. My intent was to freeze them and send them with Olivia when its her day to bring a snack for her class, but I am afraid we will have none left by then. They are really super yummy. Hope you enjoy! (I wanted to post a picture of these little beauties but I can't on the iPad, and my desktop keyboard is out of order for a few more days. I will post the pic when I get the new keyboard!) Zucchini Banana Coconut Muffins Modified from Green Smoothie Girls Zuchinni bread recipe 3 eggs, room temperature 1 Tbsp. vanilla 2 medium zucchini, grated 1 1/2 coconut oil, room temp 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce 1 1/2 cup raw sugar cane 3 cups white wheat flour (king Arthur) 1 Tbsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp cardamom 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1 tsp sea salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp baking powder 1 1/2 mashed banana, ripe 1/4 c. Sweetened cocount Turbinado sugar for sprinkling *its very important all ingredients are at room temperature. Coconut oil will harden if combined with anything cool or cold. Blend wet ingredients (1st 5 ingredients) together in mixer. Sift together dry ingredients in a seperate bowl. Slowly add the dry to the wet. Once incorporated, add Zuchinni, banana, and coconut. Mix well, then scoop by 1/3 cup into a lined muffin tin. Top each with a sprinkling of turbinado sugar and bake at 325 for about 40 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy one or two warm!

post signature

No comments: