Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Texas Sunday

Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest! But, I didn't want to rest! For some reason, I had the uncontrollable urge to bake! And something chocolate! So, what was to fill this desire? Why a homemade Texas Sheet Cake, of course!

I got this recipe from a friend who had the great idea to include a few of her favorite recipes in with the wedding gift she gave me at one of my bridal showers. This was actually one of three recipes she gave me and the first time I've tried this particular one out. I can't believe I waited this long to try such a delicious recipe! This is how we roll in Texas, ya'll! Lots of butter and sugar! Enjoy!

Texas Sheet Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. mexican vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, & salt in a mixing bowl and mix well. Bring the butter, cocoa powder, and 3/4 c. water to a boil in a medium saucempan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Pour into the flour mixture. Beat on medium to high speed until combined. Add the eggs, buttermilk & vanilla; beat 1 minute. Batter will be thin. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool slightly and then pour warm frosting over the cake and spread evenly over top. Let stand until cool at room temp.

Chocolate Buttermilk Icing
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
3 Tbsp. buttermilk
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 c. sifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp. mexican vanilla
3/4 c. shopped pecans (optional)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Bring butter, cocoa powder & buttermilk to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar & vanilla & stir until smooth. Stir in pecans.

And, now, for your Sunday HAM...

Hope you have a blessed week!


post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks and sounds awesome! I'll have to try that next time I get in the baking mood! :)

Amy said...

Texas Sheet Cake is a Hooten family favorite - yummy - now I want a piece!