Monday, May 08, 2006

OCDs and Such

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder... and a few co-workers and I were discussing this at lunch the other day. We got on the topic when a manager, Melody, commented on her's husbands' trash-hoarding obsession. She talked about how he will not throw anything away and he has been like this since they've been married- 20 plus years. He recycles EVERYTHING and goes to extreme measures to make sure nothing that can be recycled is thrown in the wrong can. Apparently, this obsession of his is so bad, their garage is full of trashed items he has found on the side of the road and salvaged to ensure it is recycled- plastic furniture and shelving and other larger items. He will wash meat packages and hang them on a "clothesline" in their kitchen so they will be ready to recycle. Melody has gotten to the point to where she will sneak bags and bags of trash to the office trash cans on the weekends...and there is so much trash collecting going on at their house, that her husband hasn't caught on that she has taken it. She said that is the only thing they ever fight about. There are some crazy obsessions out there! Melody's was hilarious and we all had a fun time laughing about what she goes through. Recycling is great, but when it gets in the way or living a normal lifestyle, and becomes an obsession, it becomes a problem.

Another crazy obsession, I worked with a lady at Tuesday Morning in Lubbock who had these tendencies. She told me one time that she has to do one thing the exact same every night before bed and she has done it her whole life. Her feet have to be cold when she gets into bed, she can't have hot feet. So she puts them in cold water, except, the twisted part is, that to her, the only water that is the coldest is the toilet bowl water. So, every night before bed, she soaks her feet in the toilet for 10 minutes until they're nice and cold. Disgusting, huh?! I'm pretty normal when I hear of these stories! Anybody else have any weird OCD stories?

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my stars!!! That toilet water thing is the weirdest thing I have ever heard! Eww! I can't believe she volunteered that information to you. Wow.

Neena said...

I thought I was OCD until I heard these stories that is too much. All I do is I really like to organize things, but that's about it. I guess I'm pretty normal compared to those others.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Pieper!
Thanks for stopping in on our blog:). Yes, I married into technological "withitness':).

I'm so glad to see and hear you're doing so well.

I don't claim to be normal, but I thankfully don't exhibit any OCD behaviors . . .but we love watching _Monk_ . . . does that count?:)

Bethany said...

What's wrong with putting cold water in the tub and soaking them? I bet her man doesn't want to suck her toes...

Robby and Lynsey said...

I forgot that you used to work at Tuesday morning - I love that store! (sorry - that was random) I, too, thought I had OCD tendancies. I think I was wrong. I just like to organize as well. I did go through a phase for a while though where everything in my house had to be "just so" People would come in and purposefully move stuff around just to see how long it would take for me to notice ... it was never very long before I caught it and fixed it. I'm glad I don't do that anymore! It was a little exhausting.

Jenny said...

Whoa toilet lady needs some help. I would hate to be OCD, its so dibilitating. I'm w/ Lauren I can't believe she would tell people about that. I guess not everyone is as modest as I am. Ha Ha.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»