Friday, November 12, 2010

So Much, So Little

True story. The other day, I was doing.. something or another.. when Olivia was doing her thing, going in and out the back door, letting it slam as each entry or exit took place. I have learned to ignore the "bang", but still secretly, I long to install some sort of bumper to muffle the loudness. I digress. That is something I had to learn VERY quickly in parenting. They are kids, they're gonna slam doors. Although I will say I know she is learning something when she proclaims, "No I do it!!" and proceeds to very gingerly catch the slamming door with her hand, guiding it slowly into its final resting position with no slam at all. Yay! I yell silently in my head; for I've been victorious in that repetition. But no stopping there- now to further the training. But, anyway, back to the story.. when, she came over to me holding a green bell pepper she had picked off my plant from the back yard in her hand. She had just squeezed it so hard, just enough to puncture it open. And referring to the seeds inside, she says, "Look mommy, deres ganola in dere!" (granola). *heart melts* This is what we moms live for. To hear these precious things that come outta the mouths of our babes! And that's not all, no! The other other day, I was teaching her the seasons. We studied specifically fall and winter when, the next morning, after we trudged downstairs to start breakfast, we opened the back door to let Roxie outside and were greeted with a thick view of fog. Livi saw it and in her excitement proclaimed, "It's winter!!" Um wow. Ok, 2 things in response to this. One, she never seen winter in the form of snow. Two, our conversation or study about seasons was all in about 10 minutes. Kids are amazing little sponges. Sponges that are at the mercy of those who teach them.. Each child starts out with SO much potential. Unfortunately, there is so little time, so little care, so little money. And while we are on that subject...I REALLY want to homeschool. There are SSSSOOOO many reasons why I want to do this. Reasons that I will save for another post. But, if you are curious, The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise is the curriculum I would most likely implement. I feel there is so much learning that doesn't take place within a public or even private school setting. Again, I will save my detailed reasonings for another post (and also... I still have a lot of time (well, it will go faster than I think) which is why I'm checking into this stuff now). It's been on my heart ever since I started teaching Olivia. Reading to her, talking to her, everyday, teaching her. I love teaching her. And I will do the same for Lilah. I feel homeschooling will work best for our family, because I have SO much love for them, and only want THE very best (what, in my opinion, is the best for them and for us, and I won't ever judge others' decisions). And SO little time with them, in the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of my beetlebug, she has been watching me with a careful eye with Lilah, and practice carrying her in the Moby Wrap sling. WHen, yesterday, she decided she too, wanted to carry her baby in a sling. So, we created one.


post signature

1 comment:

Maloree Munn said...

Love this post! Especially the pic of liv! she is such a little mama to all her baby dolls. Much like her auntie was when I was little.