Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Special Birthday Present

So yesterday was my birthday! I had a great day... honestly it didn't feel at all different from any other day. Although it was a toss up between Alamo Drafthouse (where you can watch a movie and eat dinner all at once, if you've never been) and just dinner, I decided I wanted to go to a place I really like here in Austin, called Moonshine. It's a fun, relaxed atmosphere with great food. I figured I would forego the so so theater food and movie for a really good meal. So off to Moonshine we went. (We had a nice girl from church to come and stay with Livi).

I ordered something I ordered the last time I was at Moonshine, the Jalapeno Hanger Steak, with Mac & Cheese, Black Bean & Corn Succotash and Green Beans on the side. I ordered it medium well. I specifically remember it being "melt in your mouth" good last time, hence the reason I ordered it again. Well it came out charred and extraordinarily tough. So I sent it back. The next time it came out, it was cooked more to my liking, however, the meat was just really tough. I mean, out of the ordinary, tough! In addition, I found a hair in the bean & corn salad. So after trying to get past my disappointment a few bites in, I realize that I am not going to settle. So when the waiter came over to check on us, I very nicely explained the situation. He took my plate and went back to talk with the chef. When he came back he told me the chef tried a bite of the steak and admitted it was abnormally tough and that the "hair" I saw was most likely a piece of silk from the corn. Right! A long, black piece of silk, I'm sure. So he took my meal off the ticket and offered a free dessert. So I chose the brownie and chocolate ice cream. So my meal consisted of a small bowl of macaroni and cheese and dessert. We discussed stopping by on the way home to pick me up something.

So after we got home and the sitter left, I put on The Devil Wears Prada and Anthony was nice enough to watch it with me (he loved it, btw, he said it made him want lots of nice clothes). He had a slightly upset stomach and we both didn't think much about it. But after the movie was over and we got in bed, I immediately started feeling nauseous. I was really cold and really hot all at the same time. I felt like throwing up, so I went to the bathroom. And although I never did I was sick in the other way. And not only that, but the strangest thing happened. My belly, legs and hands in particular started stiffening up, tightening and kind of contracting. I was shaking uncontrollably from chills. I yelled for Anthony telling him something was very wrong. Poor thing, I don't think he knew what to do, but saw my hands stiff and cupped and said "Babe just relax your just tense", but I really couldn't move them. He ended up calling the Poison Control for advice and they helped a little bit. I finally went to asleep and woke up feeling pretty much back to normal.

Long story short, I talked to my friend Tara today and she said that happened to her once where her limbs and hands tightened up and was diagnosed as severely dehydrated. So I may have been dehydrated from the food poisoned brownie- ha! Oh what a birthday! I should have just gone to Alamo Drafthouse! Other than all of this, I had a wonderful birthday!

post signature

1 comment:

Nikki Cogg said...

Happy be-lated birthday, Pieper!!