Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Bye Bye Yoga

Here is a picture of Olivia playing with our yoga teacher's toddler in our Thursday morning Crawlers and Toddlers Yoga class. Let me explain in more detail. I've always been one who has enjoyed working out. I really like how I feel during and after the workout, as it definately makes me feel better and helps to relieve stress. After I got pregnant, a friend of mine from (my old) work told me about Yoga Yoga. It is a facility that (obviously) features yoga but nothing else. One day, she mentioned that she saw alot of pregnant women come out of a class while she was waiting for her class and this got me curious, so I researched to find they hold prenatal and postnatal yoga classes for expectant & new mamas. In addition, there is a crawlers and toddlers class for older babies. I definitely wanted to experience those classes, so I signed up (yikes- expensive!). This was about a year and half ago now.

The prenatal class was great. Everyone attending is pregnant and at the beginning of class we went around the room and said our names, how many weeks along we were and any physical stress or trouble we had been experiencing that week. The teacher would then tailor the class around specific requests. Looking back, it was great meeting people who were going through the same thing I was; most, for the first time, too. As the "week countdown" came closer and closer to a close, you start keeping an eye out for the ones who drop off, usually one a week due to having their baby and the teacher gives the details, so those wondering and remembering can have an insight into her experience.

Well, then there's the postnatal yoga class. I think I started going when Olivia was 7 weeks old. How fun! You get to bring your baby and practice yoga; but with keeping in mind everyone is still healing after giving birth. And all while your baby is right there with you. Here is a picture of her the first time I took her to yoga.. (I call this her Miss Piggy outfit cause for some reason, she looks like Miss Piggy in it- it's the nose!). I look back and am not able to remember much about that class, only cause it was all a blur since sleep deprivation was so prevalent in those days- ha! Anyway, I remember many times Olivia would be sleeping through the class, but the times when she wasn't, there were lots of yoga moves we'd do with the babies, we'd sing songs and have story time.

Postnatal is a far cry from now! We've been in Crawlers and Toddlers yoga now since February or March. We LOVE it. The kids are so funny- playing with everyone else's toys (they are community property- haha) while all us mamas are getting a work out. At the beginning we do, So Big Touch Your Toes, and Cat/Cow with the kids. We get to practice a little without the kids, then later, we sing songs while incorporating lifts and lunges, we have a story time, and even have a silent walk and rock time as a calm down when class is coming to a close.

All of this to say, my classes are about to expire and I won't get to go any more after a certain date. So I had to go at night to use some up and all those memories came flooding back of when I would go straight to prenatal right after work. And I got really sad. I started thinking, "Wow, I remember being in this room when I was 32 weeks pregnant with Olivia, doing down dog right in this very spot!" Time has just flown. At times it didn't feel like it due to (again) the sleep deprivation. But remembering the times at yoga before Olivia was born are so vivid in my memory. And so, I am really going to miss going to yoga. Not only cause it was a good reconnect for me, but because it was an extra special connection with my child. I will always remember taking Olivia with me to yoga (even in the belly!). I'm not sure I will be able to do the same with our next child and I'm so glad I have those memories with her. If there are any Mommy & Me Yoga or exercise classes in your area, I highly recommend you going. You will meet alot of great women who are in your very same shoes. It's a wonderful experience.


post signature

1 comment:

Jackie said...

How sweet! I would love to do a yoga class with Naomi - she has taken an interest in yoga ever since we were at Marshall's, and she saw a rack of yoga mats. "Watch me, mom! I'm doing yoga!"