A little background. In the food department, I have just slightly been introducing purees. She doesn't have alot of interest, so I am just taking my time, trusting the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) and their following quotation that solids only complement breast milk at this stage: "Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth... Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.." I have no schedule or routine for introducing solids. But so far, I have introduced rice cereal, pears, applesauce, sweet potatoes, & butternut squash. In the sleep department, first let me say Olivia really is a good sleeper, for the most part. Her regular routine is this: I nurse her around 7pm and she is asleep and in her crib at 7:30pm. She will usually wake about 5 hours later; around 12:30am. At this time, I usually nurse her and she falls back asleep. Sometimes she will sleep until 6 or 7am. Other times, like last night, she wakes at 5am, crying and wanting to be nursed again. So she pretty much is sleeping through the night, even though I nurse her around midnight when we are both still in mid-sleep anyway. It's just the 5am time we struggle with from time to time. (Oh, also let me add, I try to put her back in her crib after I nurse her, but sometimes we both fall asleep and it's not until 3 or 4 & I wake up to realize she's still with me, that I put her back...maybe this is what she likes- sleeping with me and it isn't a hunger issue..?)
My dilemma? I hear from alot of people that (like I said) their kids started sleeping through the night once they began to have fuller tummies. The pediatrician says they have nothing to do with each other, and sleeping through the night is a developmental skill. Her doctor has told me, "Olivia isn't hungry in the middle of the night. She probably just wants to eat, but she really doesn't need to eat." Now, my dilemma is: do I cease feeding her in the middle of the night (the "habit" as her dr would refer to it as) and up the annie on the purees during the day in hopes that she begins to sleep through the night? If we go this route, we have decided to let her "cry-it-out", which would entail at least 3 pretty rough nights of sleep-training. Or, continue what we're doing and risk having to break an even bigger habit later on down the line?
By the way, Olivia turned 7 months today. And when I look at this way, I tend to think maybe it is just a habit and that she could go about 12 hours without food. I have realized just how different every baby is, so I'm not sure it's fair for the dr to say so matter-of-factly that she isn't hungry. At the same time, I know Livi and it very well could be just a habit. So what was your experience in this? Any advice for us? Thanks!

5 comments:
You're right...all babies are different. However, in our case introducing solids and sleeping through the night were not related. We did the "cry it out" thing and although horrible for a few nights...we are so thankful that we did it. Cohen goes down and sleeps until morning. (We did this around 5 1/2 months). I would recommend you read "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Richard Ferber. Very good. Good luck. A rested mommy is a happy mommy!!
From my experience (3 different times with my 3 kids), the being hungry part really doesn't have anything to do with waking up in the middle of the night. Your pediatritian is right in saying that babies don't "need" to eat in the middle of the night at this age and it's just the habit of being soothed. If they call, you come so why wouldn't they continue doing it? I got all 3 of my babies to sleep through the night (from 8:30pm to 7:30am and sometimes later in the am) at 6 months old. I'm big on the "cry it out" method, but when you have a baby and a toddler sharing a room you can't always do that without waking everyone else up so I had to get creative with Ella and weened her off of waking up in the middle of the night an hour at a time. It took me about a month to get it done rather than a few nights but it worked great and didn't disrupt anyone else in the house. I simply put her off an hour later than usual (so if she got up at 12:30, I'd pat her on the back until she fell back asleep or was quiet-but left her in her bed-until 1:30 for a couple of nights until she started waking up at 1:30 instead of 12:30 and then I pushed it back another hour) until she was sleeping through the night completely. You probably would be better off doing it the "cry it out" way since it's just Olivia, but I've had to get pretty creative this time around so feel free to ask me about anything. ;) Also, if you keep a good bedtime routine and rarely, if ever, stray from it then you'll have a better sleeper overall. Sorry I wrote a book!
Let her cry it out!!! When I realized that my kids were only eating for 5-10 minutes before going right back to sleep, or that I could just nurse them for 5 minutes, put them back down awake and walk away without issues, we started letting them cry it out. It took 3 nights... and then we had 12 hours of sleep a night. This was at 5ish months with both. I found that if I made myself wait 10 minutes before going to check on them they were asleep before the 10 minutes was ever up. It feels like you are just letting them cry and cry forever... and it's just a few minutes. It's a great method for naps too.... just put her down awake, let her cry for 10 minutes before you check on her, don't pick her up and you'll have a great napper on your hands!
Abbye slept through the night LONG before she had solids. She was sleeping 7 hours a night at around 8 weeks but didn't eat solids until almost 8 months. There have been a very few nights that she wskes up and will cry for a few minutes but she has learned how to put herself back to sleep. I think Livi will sleep better if she finds another way to put herself to sleep without needing to eat again. Like yours, my pedi said that Abbye didn't need a night time feeding. But really - what do I know - I have only done this once! Good luck
Hi Pieper! Yes, our sisters are great friends... Maloree is such a sweet girl! Olivia is precious. On the sleeping thing... if you care to hear my two cents.. with our oldest, we ignored everything the pedi said and did it our way (nursing or feeding Hannah whenever she wanted)... big mistake!! We got rid of the midnight feeding at 6 months with the twins and after a few LONG nights of crying they were fine. They are great little sleepers now. Good Luck!
Post a Comment