Wednesday, July 02, 2008

It Began...8 Years Ago...

...in the Spring of 2000. My first memory of him was walking from the caf to the Library on the LCU campus, along with Alyssa Rodriguez. Anthony and Eric King were leaving the cafeteria in time to walk along with Alyssa and I. I remember somehow introducing myself to him as "Pieper". "Pieper?", he said, sounding very taken back by the peculiar name, like most are who hear it for the first time. I remember being particularly self-consconcious because he was such a good looking guy, and he was judging my name. I distinctly remember how he looked in his hat- Anthony's trademark "look". His eyes were small and dark, a little mysterious, and he had a smile that struck me like none other. But his comment on my name... that was a different story; so I guess you could say that my guard was up. That is the very first memory I have of him. He, however, does not remember it happening this way. In the weeks and months following that first encounter, I had no idea what an incredible life journey I was about to embark on.

Through mutual friends, Eva, Alyssa, Val, Eric and Chris Billingsly, is how we met. A friday night and I personally didn't have plans. I went to Alyssa's dorm room and I asked what her plans were. "So far, we are all just planning to go to Fazoli's and then to the dollar theater. Wanna go?" Not thinking twice about the boy I had met earlier in that week, I said "Sure!" Sure enough, Anthony came along with the group, however I thought nothing much of it. The group of 6 or 7 of us ate and laughed and had the best time. That was one of the most fun and most memorable nights of my college career. I hadn't had that much in a long time. At the dollar theater, we saw "The Sixth Sense" and I sat next to Chris Billingsly. I think Anthony might have changed seats to sit near to me or next to Eva, although I can't quite remember.

A few weeks passed, and Anthony and I began to get to know each other better by hanging out with the group and eating together in the cafeteria. Spring Banquet was approaching and Eric and Eva let me know that Anthony wanted to ask me. I think he had put them up to feeling me out to see if I would want to go to his banquet with him. He eventually asked me in the "sub" and I said yes. Then on a Thursday, as Emily was dropping me off to my car (I remember it was a Thursday because I was MadterFollies director that year and Thursday's were the night Hollie, Emily and I met to work on the show), I spotted Anthony's Explorer, and had the best idea to ask him to my banquent by putting a cute little note on his windshield. He accepted. Our banquets came and went and we experienced the most incredible building of a relationship. Summer came and I had planned to go back to AZ. I got a job as a camp counselor at Copper Basin in Prescott, AZ. We wrote each other letters and I was able to see him over the fourth of July (it is ironic, I must add- special things tend to happen in July for us- we were engaged, married and our first child is due all in July). After camp and before school started back up we had planned to go down to Houston and spend a week in his hometown. I don't think we ever really discussed officially being "together" as a couple (or "going-out" as we used to call it), we were just so smitten by each other, all we ever wanted to do, was be with each other. So no official talk was ever needed. He told me he loved me in September. And we were! Falling hard and fast for each other.

Now 8 years later, on this day of July 2, we celebrate our 3 year wedding anniversary. And only weeks away from welcoming our first child, it is amazing how much we have been through together and how much love I hold in my heart for this man. It's a very comforting thought knowing that we are creating this life we share with each other, every day, and we have it in our control, of course, not without the guidance of our Lord. Happy Anniversary, Anthony! I love you!


post signature

5 comments:

Neena said...

Thanks for writing down that story. It was fun to read about how ya'll met.

Marta said...

Love that story! And love your new blog layout! Too cute! Hope you're feeling well!

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet story, it brought a tear to my eye. I like that everything dear to you has happened in July. I also like "Pie on Life", you are a genius!

Larissa said...

That's so sweet! Happy Anniversary! And I love the new layout, it's so cute! Hope you're doing well and getting excited!

Ashley said...

Hi! I found your website through Once Upon a Blog! I got married last year and am now 9 weeks pregnant :o) I've enjoyed reading so far!